Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Leaving our comfort zone...?

One of the many reasons why I love my job is the fact that my hours are as flexible as how I want them to be. True that lecture times are set by the University, but, I am free to determine when I want to have my tutorials.

My teaching timetable this Semester, is the same as it has always been for the last few years. Again, I have loaded my Tuesdays and Thursdays, and kept the other days of the week free for my research, reading and writing.

I would send Hilman and the maid to my MIL's before I go to the office every morning, and my MIL's driver would send Hilman to, and fetch his sisters from school every afternoon, and the girls would stay at their Wan's house until I fetch them and the maid in the evening. My MIL's house had always been our depository centre ever since we came back from the UK in 1997 simply because it is right smack in the middle of the route between our SD house, our workplace and the kids' schools.

I have always had my lectures and tutorials on Tuesdays and Thursday for as long as I could remember. And alang-alang those two days are packed, I had also arranged for the kids to have their mengaji class at my MIL's on Tuesday and Thursday nights. This had been the arrangement for the last 4 years.

So, every Tuesday and Thursday, I would finish my class at either 5:00 or 6:00p.m, after which I would fetch Hilman from school, go back to my MIL's place which is just 10 minutes away from my office/the kids' school. Hanna and Hasya would already be there since after school. Ustadz would come at 8:30p.m, and their mengaji class would end at 9:30p.m. We would normally leave for SD around 9:45p.m, and would reach home by 10:00p.m - just in time for the kids to catch Naruto on Astro Channel 616.

This arrangement had meant that after a packed day at work on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I wouldn't have to worry about preparing/cooking dinner, as we would be having dinner at my MIL's, and dinner would normally be cooked by my MIL's maid, except on a few occassions when yours truly would help out. Good strategy, huh? ;)

Nevertheless, even though I had been quite free on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays all this while, I still had to leave the office at 6:00p.m. as I had to wait for Hilman to finish school and fetch him, and then fetch the girls and the maid from my MIL's, THEN only we would go back to SD. More often than not, we would reach home just after 7:00p.m and I would straight away cook dinner for the family (except on Wednesdays when the kids have their piano lessons from 6:30p.m until 7:45p.m. after which we would have dinner outside).

As I said, their Wan's place has always been our stop-centre, ever since we came back to Malaysia in 1997. In fact, when we first bought our SD home way back in 1999, we rarely stayed in SD, preferring to stay in PJ simply because it was just so convenient to do that. And when the kids started schooling, it seemed to be the most sensible thing to do - depositing the kids there until the time came for me to fetch them after work and go back home to SD.

However, this year is a bit different as I now don't have to wait until 6:00p.m before I leave the office because Hilman now goes to school in the morning. Meaning, theoretically, for THREE days of the week, i.e. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, when I don't have any lectures or tutorials, I can actually fetch the kids from their Wan's house earlier, so that we can reach SD by 5p.m, or even 4:30p.m, I guess. And I was really looking forward to the change to the routine, when finally we all can reach home earlier than we normally would, and this would mean, for the first time in years, the kids would be able to spend more time together at home in SD, instead of in PJ on weekdays.

However, with Hanna sitting for her PMR this year, we decided to register her for extra tuitions, and it's just our luck that her tuitions are held on Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:30p.m to 6:30p.m. in PJ. This means that realistically, the ONLY day that we will be able to go back home early now will be on Fridays.

There goes my plan of spending more time in SD with the kids this year :(

The only way to go around this is to come out of our comfort zone which we have been in for the last 13 years (at least!) and change our after-school deposit centre to our SD home instead of their Wan's place in PJ.

A perfect arrangement would be for Dar (when?!if?! she comes back) to stay at home in SD, instead of me sending her to PJ every morning, so that she would have more time attending to our SD home, and more time for her to prepare the meals (or rather, for me to start TRUSTING her to use the stove while I'm not at home!).

We should also have to consider getting our own driver instead of relying on my MIL's driver to fetch the kids from school everyday. At least I won't feel guilty if I'm asking our own driver to drive the extra miles to send the kids back to SD every afternoon. We do give him a certain amount of allowances every month for helping out with the kids, but, of course, at the end of the day, he is still not OUR driver, kan?

And I feel Ayah desperately needs a driver to drive him around, too, especially now that his "kais pagi, makan pagi" activities are done in 4 different hospitals (which are NOT close to each other!) I can see that all the driving around has taken its toll on him... Not just that he's SO exhausted every night when he comes back from work, his back-pain is becoming...well, a VERY REAL pain in the ****, and it's becoming more painful for him by the day.

We SERIOUSLY need to change our routines, especially in cuting down on transit times in PJ, and also the travelling/driving/sending/fetching/ etc., times so that everybody will be more relaxed at home AND at work.

The questions are -

Are we prepared to come out of our comfort zone which we have been in for the last 13 years?

Are we prepared to change our daily routines which so far have been quite convenient to us?

Are we prepared to bersusah-susah sedikit and not rely on my MIL's maid and driver anymore?

Are we prepared to start a new routine so that we can enjoy our own home more, now that the kids are bigger?

Hmmmmm...?

13 comments:

MamaEta said...

Shana...i am so speechless reading ur ttable..but again just give it a try la...tak cuba tak tau! Rasenya pasti budak2 pun suka..and later bila pindah BJ..dah leh adapt!..
Anyway...transit or not..ur kids still 'best' w their studies....ape resepinye ek!..Gd luck to new mr driver..and Klong Hanna too...Same dgn my second...suspens!

wanshana said...

Eta,

Thanks :)

Yes, I think the kids would love the new arrangement coz' less transit in between school and home. Tak lah penat sangat.

Resepi? Hehehe...Tak der resepi, my dear. Just that Hasya also has her tuition kat my MIL's house 3 days a week, and all three would do and finish their homework there. Malam - balik SD - tengok Naruto - tido ;) Tak study or do revision pun unless lagi seminggu nak exam. Hehehe!

This evening insya Allah nak interview first candidate for the driver's job. Hope he's okay :)

MAMAMIA said...

Buka sekolah ni, I have a change in my daily routine. So far, things are going pretty well. Give it a try, as Eta said, tak cuba tak tahu.

U can always change back to the old routine, if things don't work out. All the best...

wanshana said...

Mamamia,

Thanks :). Insya Allah akan dicuba, tapi for the moment, kalau jadik pun, the schedule will be quite tentative until Dar comes back from her cuti.

Once she comes back baru boleh betul-betul praktikkan the proposed new routine, insya Allah.

I read about your new routine, too - as "Mak Guard". How is it going? You should get AJK Masjid to pay you by the hour, dear ;)

Ummi365 said...

Shana, your girl dah PMR cepatnya masa berlalu, the first time i came here when she was getting her UPSR result and that was the first time i commented too. your routine sama macam i jugak, rushing here and there. rasa nak bernafas pun susahkan. wonder when all this boleh habis and we can rest at home.

it's ok you will be fine when you come out of your comfort zone, just that the first few days tu kena adjust sikitlah sebab routine dah lain kan. wish you luck dear.

IBU said...

Aiyoooo.... i'm so tempted to hire a part time driver too larrrr..... to ferry the kids to school & tuition.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

wanshana said...

Dear Ummi,

Thanks :)

Yes, how time flies, kan? Hanna is now taller than me, and wears shoes 2 sizes bigger than me! She's very enthusiastic about school and PMR this year. Hopefully she'll do well, insya Allah. Yes, I started hopping by your blog around the same time, too! :)

I don't think we'll ever get the time to really rest at home laa... Well, at least for me, that is. From this year until 2017 I will have exam-going kids EVERY year! More running around with extra classes and tuition for everyone. Fenin.

wanshana said...

Ibu,

Why don't you give it a try?

Tuan Doktor and I have interviewed a candidate the other day, and insya Allah he'll start next week. Errr... nama dia sama dengan Tukang Kasut... Hehehe!)

It's mainly to ferry the kids around and for Tuan Doktor. Hopefully he's okay and reliable, insya Allah.

wanshana said...

Dear Anonymous @ 11:17p.m.

Thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Hai Shana...
Is Haizal trying to kill himself or what? I am definitely not a doktor jantung like he is but has he been checking his BP and what not of the late?

I just stumbled on haizal's column in Harian Metro... Hmmm... since when is that he join Dr. Thambi and others there? It's good to have him there, though...

But no kidding that he works in 4 different centers? And u call that kais pagi makan pagi? Come on la... U are more of a kais pagi makan tahun depan la... he he he... jangan mare la Shana...

BTW, our paths have never crossed so you don't cross except on this internet je... I had written to you several times in here. Cheers!

R from A.S.

Helena said...

hi thre shana... reading your post buat i tercungap2.... mmg byk transit yer.... i pun ada gak transit via my moms house but not as complicated as you. And things are a bit easier for me now that I'm no longer working.

Yup need your recipe to keep the keeps tetap cemerlang. I notice that my kids (the youngest 2)get tired easily compared to their kakaks before this.

DadaIQ said...

Salam Shana
Why not you give it a try...consider it as "hijrah" for you and your family. Mana tau, the new routine is better for all of you. Good Luck and all the best.