Saturday, March 17, 2007

Hmmmm....Whaddaya know...


Thoughts recorded on February 07, 2007...


I drew the curtains this morning and was gobsmacked to be greeted by the whiteness in front of me....Yep! It actually snowed some time last night - probably when I was rambling my first ramble, oblivious to what was happening outside.

The snow REALLY brings back a lot of sweet memories... Yep! Memories of Winter 2003/04 when I started my PhD - back then the kids and their Ayah were with with me here in Newcastle. I can still remember how excited Hanna, Hasya and Hilman were - that being their first experience of snow...Well, at least for the two younger ones. All of you were lying down on the snow - making "snow-angels", trying (really hard!) to make a snowman - using all kinds of vegetables you all could find in the kitchen, to make the nose, the eyes, the mouth, etc! But we never really did get it right, did we? The Koreans ALWAYS came out with the bigger and better snowman! Well, the most important thing was - we had FUN!!! And oh yes - how can I forget the snowfights?!! You all looked so adorable - all wrapped up like little Eskimos - Hilman especially! Well, he did look like an eskimo boy - what with his oriental eyes, very fair skin, red lips, red nose, and of course - the chubbiness!!!

The snow also brings back one very significant memory for me and Ayah. To be exact, the first snowdrop for Newcastle for that year fell on the day Hanna was born on - 17th November 1995. I can still remember that very special day - the day I became a "Mommy" for the first time. The contraction started at 4:15a.m and I woke Ayah up and said to him, "It's time, sayang...". I actually took my time to get changed (hey! I wanted to look good arriving at the hospital!) And Ayah also took time to scrape the snow off the windscreen, putting the de-icer, etc. The whole rigmurals - from bedroom to finally got strapped into the seatbelts in the car took us about half an hour! The journey to Royal Victoria Infirmary from Forest Hall which would normally have taken under 20 minutes, took us nearly an hour because of the snow. But, Ayah was very calm, and did not panic even though the contractions were quite strong and they were like going down from 20 minutes to 10 minutes apart over that one hour journey to RVI! You know how your Ayah is....always so calm and collected in an emergency (that sometimes I feel like hitting him!!! Hahaha!)

By the time we reached the hospital, at 5:30.m, the contractions were becoming unbearable. But, me being a first-timer did not ask for anything for the pain (and your Ayah did not suggest anything for it, too!!!). So, I was only on enthanox (a.k.a "the laughing gas") which didn't really help much... The fact that your heartbeat went down everytime I had contractions brought about 5 doctors into the labour room (not counting your Ayah, that is - who, I think at that time was beginning to lose his "calmness and collectedness"). I could see it on his face that he was worried, but he still smiled and held my hands throughout the labour. Well, to be precise I was holding (or rather squeezing his hand REALLY hard, like there was no tomorrow - and he swore that the bruises and pain on his hands were there for the next 3 days!!! Hahaha!)

Syukur alhamdulillah, at 7:33 a.m, you - Hanna Suhaila Haizal, were born into the world - perfect little bundle of joy - all 3.54kg of you, with black spiky hair nearly touching your shoulders, cute little ruby lips, skin all pink and fresh, fingers all curled up into a fist, ready to punch the whole world out there!!! It had been a rather short labour for Mommy. It was only about 3 hours - from the time of the first contractions until you were born. The pain was all worthed it...And I would do it all over again (and Oooops! I did it (twice) again when I had Hasya and Hilman... Hahaha!)

Yep - the snow really brings back very sweet memories... But, for today - I'm not sure if I'm going ahead with my plan to go to the library... The thought of going through the snow which is evidently starting to melt now...Hmmmm...I'll decide after having my coffee (I don't know which one coz' I would normally take coffee 3 times a day...) Have a good day guys - snow or no snow - wherever you are...

Wassalam....

No comments: