Sunday, March 18, 2007

One 'happening' mom...


Thoughts recorded on March 12, 2007...


I was in a ‘don’t- wanna-do-anything’ mood and was listening to some ‘feel-free-to-doze-off' songs yesterday morning when my YM gave a ‘bling bling’ and I saw that Hanna Suhaila had just went online.

I was in between the ‘just-let-her-chat-with-her-friends’ AND ‘I-wanna-chat-with-my-daughter’ urges, and I was deliberating on what to do for a full ten minutes, when I decided to just fuse the two urges – and I buzzed her. You know - just YM for the sake of YMing her? I was thinking – I would just chat with Hanna for about 5 minutes and then let her have her own time chatting with her friends in the remaining one hour that she had to chat on her YM for the weekend.

And Hanna was SO excited when I buzzed her!!! You wouldn’t have guessed that we had actually just spoken to each other over the phone barely two hours before that?! And Hanna being Hanna, she was just typing and sending her messages to me without waiting for me to respond to them! Frankly speaking – having a verbal/oral communication with her is MUCH more manageable! At least I could always stop her mid-sentence….Try doing THAT via a YM!! My replies/responds to her messages were so outdated by TEN sent messages, at least!

Anyway, after about five minutes chatting with her, me - being a sporting Mom that I was/am (wink wink!), I decided to let her spend the final one hour of chatting time allowed with her friends. I was scheduled to call home and speak to her and her adek-adek later that night anyway…

But, what happened next brought tears to my eyes - when Hanna sent a YM, “Mommy, PLEASE!!! I CAN still continue YM with you, you know?….PLEASE DON’T SIGN OFF! I still want to chat with you! You know what? You are the one of the few Moms whom I know chat with their kids! You are one ‘happening’ Mom!"

I remember to have JOKED with Hanna a few times before this, saying that she was lucky to have me as her Mom, as I was one really ‘happening’ Mom... But coming from her yesterday, in her OWN YM words…I was REALLY touched…Something like that – coming from your eleven year old (going on 17) daughter is to be taken as a pretty nice and huge compliment… I should say…

But, then again – I should also tell her that the only reason why I was the only Mom chatting with her kids (amongst her friends) was because the other Moms didn’t have the need to do so, reason being: their kids live under the same roof as them AND why would they want to YM each other when they could just SCREAM each other’s heads FACE-TO-FACE in the comfort of their own homes?!!! LOL!!!

But, still…it felt REALLY good being one ‘happening’ mom to your daughter…

So, to all Mothers out there, with so many things happening in your lives out there, wherever you are…Maybe you could just find out what exactly it is that would make your kids see you as one really ‘happening’ Mom? And try doing it. It could be something really out of this world (like going bungee-jumping somewhere?!!!), or it could be something REALLY simple - maybe by just being yourself? Because you’ll never know – you may ALREADY be one ‘happening’ Mom …just that your kids don’t say that to you…(?) But, Mothers being Mothers…we would know, eh?

Wassalam…

No comments: